Re: 301/302

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Fri, 05 Sep 1997 11:19:49 -0700
To: John Franks <john@math.nwu.edu>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>Perhaps I am missing something, but I see no way to safely send a 303
>(or any other status which 1.0 clients don't understand, if there are
>any) in the presence of proxies.

They could check the Via header field, but this isn't really a 1.1
issue since there is nothing to stop a 1.0 client from understanding 303.
It will be a while before applications can transition to using all of the
features of HTTP/1.1 without looking at the User-Agent or Server field
first, but we have to start somewhere.

....Roy