Re: Last-Modified in chunked footer

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ics.uci.edu>
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 23:36:27 -0700
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
>How about turning that around?  I.e., instead of prohibiting what
>is not explicitly allowed, as we do today, we should allow what
>is not explicitly prohibited.  So, I would say "if putting the
>header in the trailer makes it too late to be useful, then we should
>prohibit that."

I agree with Jeff in that it is generally better to give people as
much rope as possible. Overly restricting legitimate applications is
far more of a hazard than making it possible for implementers to hang
themselves; after all, it's a lot easier for implementers to learn what
works (and what doesn't) than it is for us to go back and change the
definition of a header field.

....Roy