Re: a positive "no thanks" to cookies?

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 1997 00:15:15 -0700 (PDT)
To: Shel Kaphan <sjk@amazon.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com

On Sun, 10 Aug 1997, Shel Kaphan wrote:

> Fact: some people hate cookies.  They keep telling their browsers not to
> accept them.

An alternative I proposed was that servers beable to stipulate that
cookies are required for an application to function. I forget the
details of what I suggested or the brief discussion thread.

But one must ask why users hate cookies and wonder what UI and/or server
and hence perhaps protocol support might change that situation.

Larry Masinter recently 'suggested' that perhaps getting a better
solution to state management warranted a new WG. If the UA vendors
expected to provide a high percentage of the desk top UAs were
interested, I believe there a number of avenues left untested in
terms of providing better support from all perspectives for state
management.

As I recently noted in a post to the StateManagement sub-group list,
it seems that the UA design point for cookies is to share then between
all open browser windows. That really does make it hard to manage a
session.

Dave Morris