RE: Using Content-Encoding and Content-Disposition together

On Mon, 4 Aug 1997, Yaron Goland wrote:

> I also agree that the second one is correct. We should not confuse
> content-encoding with the actual file. After all I could easily be
> dealing with a server where I, a server side app, send the server a
> plain text file with a content-disposition of .txt and the smart server
> knowing it is talking to a UA that supports compression decides to
> compress on the fly.

Me too ... because as an application which created a compressed file
wanted it to stay compressed when the UA received it.  I recently
received a file of xx.txt.gz ... had the UA ungzip it to show it and
then save it as xx.txt.gz but uncompressed.

But I'm not sure that the right solution isn't a new set of transfer
encodings or something similar.  It seems to me that 'content-' headers
mostly deal with describing the logical content and the confusion here
is because we are describing both logical content and transfer encoding.

Dave Morris