New Editorial issue MESSAGE-BODY

From: Jim Gettys <jg@pa.dec.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 1997 04:47:48 -0700
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
In working on the Options specification, Roy and Jeff came across a
problem in the spec that needed clearification.

For the record, here is the result.
				- Jim

attached mail follows:

	Are you suggesting I incorporate your Options spec into draft 08?

No, this is a bug fix to a separate section, one that Roy discovered
while replying to something with this Subject.  It is to replace
this sentence:
>                               A message-body MAY be included in a
>       request only when the request method (section 5.1.1) allows an
>       entity-body.
which you can probably find using a text-search.

Roy suggests:
     A message-body SHOULD NOT be included in a request unless the
     request method is defined as allowing an entity-body.

or

     A server SHOULD read and forward a message-body on any request;
     if the request method does not include defined semantics for an
     entity-body, then the message-body SHOULD be ignored when handling
     the request.

I'm not sure why we shouldn't just say both things (robustness
principle: don't send garbage, but don't choke on it, either).

Actually, on reflection, I'm not sure how I would implement
a server that can figure out that a GET without a content-length,
but which has a bogus body, isn't actually two GETs.  I.e.,
if a bad client sends

	GET /foo.html HTTP/1.1
	Host: foo.com

	GET /bar.html HTTP/1.1
	Host: foo.com

is that (1) two GETs on a persistent connection, or (2) one
GET with a bogus body and no Content-length?  Or do the
rules for persistent connections not allow this? I skimmed
RFC2068, and I don't think we require this!

Anyway, I think perhaps the best wording is:

     A message-body MUST NOT be included in a request if the
     specification of the request method does not allow
     sending an entity-body in requests.

This means GET, HEAD, and DELETE, right?

-Jeff

P.S.: maybe I need some sleep, too.