Issue CONTENT-ENCODING

About the CONTENT-ENCODING issue which is now in last call: I do not
think the draft should be changes in the proposed way.

The issue is not whether the `original authors of 1.0' intended, but
forgot to, add q parameters to content encoding.  I don't think so,
but we do not need to discuss that.

The issue is whether q parameters can be added now without breaking too
many things.

Roy's message

http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail/1997q3/0299.html

seems to indicate that adding q parameters might well lead to breakage.

Without some degree of evidence that this breakage *won't* occur, I
think that going through with the CONTENT-ENCODING fix is ill-advised.

The evidence does not have to be exhaustive, but it has to be better
than what I have seen so far.  I argue against making this change in
parsing rules, because we do not understand its possible effects well
enough.

Koen.