Re: Any objections to "Accept-encoding: gzip, *;q=0"?

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 1997 11:47:00 PDT
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
If you merely look at the specifications, there is enough
evidence that HTTP/1.0 had intended the "accept*" headers
to be consistent and that the distinctions in HTTP/1.1 were
merely editorial oversight because different people wrote
different parts. From that point to not require a burden
of proof in order to reinstate consistency.

If there's evidence that this would cause some interoperability
difficulty, then we should certainly consider this carefully,
but we're otherwise on good grounds procedurally for
proceeding.

Larry
(as wg chair)