Re: New feature tag registration drafts available

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Sat, 19 Jul 1997 19:36:54 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Graham Klyne <GK@acm.org>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Graham Klyne:

>Isn't there a conflict here with <draft-mutz-http-attributes-02.txt>?

There probably is, the draft-mutz-http-attributes drafts do not
reflect the syntax rules in the latest TCN draft, but this will be
fixed eventually.

[...]
>OK -- I accept that an alias mechanism is probably not a Good Idea.
>
>I think your comment suggests a possible requirement on a generic
>negotiation framework is the ability to treat some set of features as
>interchangeable in the context of some specific negotiation exchange, as
>your 'fpred-bag' does for  indicating the quality of a variant.

Yes, any sufficiently generic framework would have to be able to treat
features as interchangeable.  This would even have to be done if the
alias problem were absent.  For example, for a document which will use
animated gifs if java is not present, the `java' and `animated gif'
features are interchangeable.

>GK.

Koen.