SAFE, UAHINT and other things not part of HTTP/1.1 now

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 1997 08:12:28 PDT
To: "David W. Morris" <dwm@xpasc.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Please note that the proposed charter revision has us completing

a) HTTP/1.1: protocol & authentication => Draft Standard
  Only changes are editorial or else issues on the issue list
b) Content negotiation: requirements => Informational
     protocol => Experimental, feature reg => BCP
c) PEP => Experimental or Proposed
d) Connection management => Informational or Proposed

Anything that isn't in that set is not in the charter.
In particular, SAFE and UAHINT are not in the charter.

I don't think we actually have the bandwidth or attention
to process even what's laid out in (a)-(d), and would like
to cut down on the discussion of other items so that we
can focus what attention people have. This kind of statement
usually results in even more messages defending the things
that have been 'left out', but:

Q: Perhaps I should have stirred the pot when we returned?
A: No. The pot is already overflowing.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter