Re: OPTIONS method

From: Roy T. Fielding <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 1997 09:32:14 -0700
To: Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
>Is there a header that can be passed with an OPTIONS method request
>to probe for protocol support of a feature?
>
>OPTIONS * HTTP/1.1
>query: foobar

Not yet.  It would be a good project to come up with a complete definition
of OPTIONS (the existing one is only a skeleton for future extension)
including both the request and the response format.  I wouldn't do it
as a header field, though.  There is a good reason why requests can
contain bodies, and those bodies have a type, encoding, etc.

....Roy