Re: HTTP/1.1 -- who disconnects the session?

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 1997 21:46:57 -0700 (PDT)
To: Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>
Cc: Michael Giroux <mgiroux@worldnet.att.net>, "Http-Wg (E-mail)" <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>

On Thu, 5 Jun 1997, Josh Cohen wrote:

> I beleive the connection is dropped after the client's
> final request.
> The final request is indicated by passing
> the connection: close header with its final request..
>
> (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. )

Last I checked, either side closes the connection when it chooses.
Choice from a server perspective is expected to relate to available
resources.  Choice on the client would be expected to relate to when the
client heuristically decides a connection isn't needed.

Either side can use the connection close req/resp to gracefully terminate
the connection. A decision that this point has arrived is still necessary.

There was a recent paper reporting on some performance studies made by the
folks at W3C. There has also been a recent suggestion regarding close wait
issues that suggested a preference for which side should close the
connection first.  Sorry, but I forget, check the archives for this list.

Dave Morris