HTTP Issues LAST CALL; HTTP editing group

In order to speed progress on HTTP/1.1 to Draft Standard,
the editors of the HTTP/1.1 spec, with a few additional
invitees, are having a regular teleconference and one
longer meeting between now and the next IETF to converge
on the draft.

Today we spent time going through and revising the issue
list:

   http://www.w3.org/pub/WWW/Protocols/HTTP/Issues/

and propose resolutions as necessary. We didn't get through
the list, but made good progress.

This message is a working group LAST CALL on a number of
issues. We are only doing LAST CALL on issues that were
discussed on the mailing list and seem to have reached
a proposal which was not debated.

If you want to send mail on a particular issue, please use
a separate message with the issue name in the subject. If you
have other issues with the HTTP/1.1 specification that are
not in the issue list, please raise them as soon as possible.

Here are our proposals for resolution:

> COOKIE: Out of scope.
We propose that the issues of 'state management' and resolution
of RFC 2109 be 'undocked' from HTTP/1.1. That is, RFC 2109 will
proceed along standards track or be replaced independent of
HTTP/1.1. If there is a need, a separate working group can
be formed to deal with the state management issues.

> DISPOSITION: Last call.
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/http/hypermail/1997q2/0151.html
is the proposed resolution.

> CHUNKED: editorial.
This has moved from an 'issue' to an editorial change.
You will have a chance later to review the wording.

> CACHING: open
We will review Adam Dingle's paper and create issues as necessary.
(The original URL is no longer valid, and the actual workshop
talk http://w3cache.icm.edu.pl/workshop/talk4/ doesn't have
the summary referred to in the message.)

> DATE_IF_MODIFIED: open
(My editing group notes are different than Jim's list;
as to what exactly is the proposal. We'll look for new
wording here to clarify what the actual proposal is.)

> WARNINGS: open (last call?)
draft-ietf-http-warning-00.txt is the proposal. Again,
my notes say 'last call' but Jim's notes say 'Open'.

> VERSION: closed

> PROXY-REDIRECT: open

> PROXY-AUTH: LAST CALL
  The 'proposed resolution' is to drop this proposal.

> CLOSE: out of scope
   The 'proposed resolution' for HTTP/1.1 is that this
   issue should proceed independently of HTTP/1.1; if
   needed, the ID can become an Informational RFC
   as implementation advice.

> PROXY-MAXAGE: LAST CALL
   Jeff Mogul will issue a new draft, changing 'proxy'
   to 'shared cache', and 'proxy-maxage' to 's-maxage'
   to denote the actual intent.

> PROXY-AUTHORIZATION: open
   Debate as to whether clarification needed.

> CHARSET-WILDCHARD: LAST CALL
   Fold internet-draft into main standard.

> 403VS404: Roy will send out draft wording, after which
   we will LAST CALL.

> STATUS100: LAST CALL
   There may be some comments, but the internet draft
   proposal will be folded into 1.1

> AGE: (Issue merged with AGE-CALCULATION)

> COMMENT: LAST CALL
   The clarification in the mail archive will be accepted.

> CACHING-CGI: LAST CALL
   As in the issues list.

There's much yet to be done, so your attention and focus
is requested.

Larry
--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter