Re: Rewrite of feature tag syntax rules

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 17:05:00 -0400
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: mogul@pa.dec.com, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
At 10:40 PM 5/19/97 +0200, Koen Holtman wrote:

>True, PEP does a mapping, but it still needs equality tests on unmapped
>extension identifiers (URIs).  I believe Jeff is talking about mapping
>away this equality test problem.
>
>A question: which method do the current PEP test implementations use to
>compare extension identifiers (URIs) for equality?

Byte comparison. The only one who ever has to type the URL of the extension
is the party who publishes the extension. There is no need for i18n nor any
other human adaptions as the URL is intended for machines only. If you want
to resolve the URL then you use normal rules for doing that.

Thanks,

Henrik
World Wide Web Consortium
http://www.w3.org/People/Frystyk