Re: Rewrite of feature tag syntax rules

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:47:31 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Roy T. Fielding:
>>Transparent content negotiation *does not exchange feature sets over
>>the wire*.  Efficient wire encodings of feature sets are therefore
>Then you don't intend proxies to negotiate on behalf of the user agent.

Yes I do, both proxies and origin servers could negotiate on behalf of
the agent.  For the wire issues involved, see section 4.2 of

But to allow for remote variant selection, you only need to send
*partial* information about the feature set over the wire, not the
complete set.

For a correctly optimising client, the size of this partial
information, will be *much* smaller than the size of the complete
feature set:  the size of the partial information will be related to
the number of features the origin server actually negotiates on.

See the drafts for the details.