Re: Rewrite of feature tag syntax rules

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 14:47:31 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Roy T. Fielding:

>>Transparent content negotiation *does not exchange feature sets over
>>the wire*.  Efficient wire encodings of feature sets are therefore
>>irrelevant.
>
>Then you don't intend proxies to negotiate on behalf of the user agent.

Yes I do, both proxies and origin servers could negotiate on behalf of
the agent.  For the wire issues involved, see section 4.2 of
draft-ietf-http-rvsa-v10-01.txt.

But to allow for remote variant selection, you only need to send
*partial* information about the feature set over the wire, not the
complete set.

For a correctly optimising client, the size of this partial
information, will be *much* smaller than the size of the complete
feature set:  the size of the partial information will be related to
the number of features the origin server actually negotiates on.

See the drafts for the details.

>....Roy

Koen.