Re: Rewrite of feature tag syntax rules

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Thu, 15 May 1997 21:20:23 +0200 (MET DST)
To: "David W. Morris" <dwm@xpasc.com>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
David W. Morris:

[...]
>       Unless a switch is made to the more arbitrary token approach
>such as the DNS scheme, I believe internationalization issues
associated
>with use of URIs require % encoding.

Urgl.  This keeps getting more complicated.

How is this for a compromise:

- a feature tag is a member of the URI namespace
- a feature tags MUST be chosen in such a way that every % in the tag
  is the start of a %HH encoding
- tag comparison MUST be done by decoding all %HH encodings, then doing a
  case-insensitive octet-by-octet comparison.

Koen.