Re: feature negotiation syntax

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 1997 09:53:59 -0700 (PDT)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

On Mon, 12 May 1997, Larry Masinter wrote:

> # I do assume that with
> # octet-by-octed, you mean after interpretation of % escapes.  I think
> # it is a good idea to allow these, especially in the tag values.
>
> No, I don't. I think that the name of features should be
> compared exactly. Unescaping of URLs components is
> scheme specific.

The dilemma is that we currently have no requirment in writing http URLs
that %escaping not be used unless required. Confounded by the fact that it
is hard to figure out exactly what must be escaped. So it is easy to have
two HTTP URLs which identify the same resource not compare on an octet
basis. I admit to having noted only a few strange uses of %xx prior to
the query part of the URL ... more in the query part. But I would be
concerned about specification of a mode of comparison which doesn't fit
other usage of the same thing.

Dave