Re: feature negotiation syntax

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 12 May 1997 20:03:12 +0200 (MET DST)
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Larry Masinter:

>I suggest avoiding any of the complexities of URI comparison
>and make feature tag comparison be exact, octet-by-octet.

Yes, that would simplify things without loosing any of the power.
I'll put it in the next version.  I do assume that with
octet-by-octed, you mean after interpretation of % escapes.  I think
it is a good idea to allow these, especially in the tag values.

>Given the enormous flamage around UTF8-URLs, I think
>you might be in trouble unless you specify very carefully
>exactly which subset of URIs you're actually going to allow.

I'm taking the PEP approach of allowing *any* URI.  Do you expect this
to cause flamage?

>The "x:" bothers me, since it isn't a URL scheme anyway.

The "x:" is one of the "URL schemes not associated with data
resources", as in draft-masinter-url-process-01.txt.

>I think you might as well avoid it, and distinguish between
>a URL and a feature tag by the appearance of ":" within.

OK.

>Larry

Koen.