Re: New feature negotiation syntax

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 1997 00:05:21 PDT
To: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Yow, now we have to put feature tags in quotes, too?

Look, it was hard enough to push back on

Accept-Features: "x:screenwidth#600", "x:screenheight#400"

I don't think so.

Maybe we could go back to do/dont/will/wont:

will: this is what I will do. Outside of default
     assumptions, don't expect me to do anything that
     I didn't say "will" or "do" for.
wont: I won't do this. Even if it is the default to
      do it. So don't ask.
do: please do this.  But if you don't, I'll cope.
   If this is a fact about me, well, please give me something
   for recipients like me
dont: please don't do this. I won't like it, but I'll cope.

"accept:" and "accept-charset:" are "will".
"accept-language:" is "do".
Of the features, listed, most are "do", but I think a few
are "will".

do: width#600,height#400

On first principles, I think merging PEP and feature negotiation
is a reasonable thing to consider.