Re: New PEP draft available as ID!

From: Henrik Frystyk Nielsen <frystyk@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 01 May 1997 12:42:21 -0400
To: Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>, Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
At 06:46 PM 4/30/97 -0400, Hallam-Baker wrote:

>I believe that the problems with PEP could be solved by abandoning the
>idea of sending meta-protocol information along with the connection
>data.
>
>Instead of doing this I would like to see a single tag to define the
>semantics of any x-tended headers and how proxies should deal with them.
>The tag would be of the form :-
>
>PEP-Extension: <version> <url>

But Phill - this is exactly what the current draft says! Meta-information
and  transaction information isn't mixed and PEP is nothing more than a
binding between a new header field and it's semantics (see my previous mail

>I understand that there are occasions in which this will not work such
>as intranets not connected to the Internet and intergalactic spacecraft.
>I think that attempting to address these corner cases by sending a
>couple of hundred bytes of verbiage along with every message is a bit
>broken and unlikely to fly in any case.

The current PEP draft actually handles these situations - which is the
reason why the draft is somewhat longer than it was last time. No need to
discriminate against anybody as long as they are still in URI space.

>PEP only specifies the grammar of the protocol, not the semantics. It
>can only solve the problem of proxies and other intermediaries that need
>to know something about the tags being passed.

PEP relies on normal HTTP/1.1 semantics that already describes how to deal
with proxies - caching and non-caching. PEP doesn't change this model not
does it have to.

Henrik

World Wide Web Consortium, MIT/LCS NE43-346