Re: IPP>PRO - http comments

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 17:14:11 PDT
To: Robert Herriot <Robert.Herriot@eng.sun.com>
Cc: rdebry@us.ibm.com, lawrence@agranat.com, ipp@pwg.org, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> It would be good to get a definitive answer as to whether
> Content-Length takes priority over the boundary string in a
> multipart/*.  At a recent IETF meeting I asked such a question to some
> knowledgeable person who said that Content-Length was ignored in this
> context and that the boundary string was the only way to determine the
> end of a part in a multipart/*. I would prefer that Content-Length
> take priority if it is present.

My take:

It is illegal to send content where the content-length and the boundary
string disagree. So one doesn't take priority over the other. A
recipient
should signal an error if it detects that they are different.

Senders that are at all uncertain about the length of the data should
omit content-length and rely on the boundary alone.

Larry