Re: IPP> MIME multipart/* vs HTTP

From: Robert Herriot <Robert.Herriot@eng.sun.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 1997 12:44:31 -0700
To: ipp@pwg.org, lawrence@agranat.com
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

> From lawrence@agranat.com Wed Apr 30 12:05:41 1997
> IPP> We believe that chunked applies to the entire multipart/mixed
> IPP> entity and cannot be used for one of the sub-entities alone.
> IPP> Thus there is no length to mark the boundary of a sub-entity.
>   Correct; the 'Transfer-Encoding: chunked' applies to all of the HTTP
>   message body.  For completeness, my companys' server implementation
>   does support chunked encoding of the entire multipart/* body part,
>   but we think it doesn't make much sense (because it is redundant) so
>   that support may be compiled out to save code.

Why is chunking redundant? It seems important for the case where the
client doesn't know the length of the data at the beginning of the
transmission.  Without the Transfer-Encoding of chunked, HTTP/1.1 seems
to require a Content-Length for a client transmission (as a client, it
cannot close the connection and multipart/byterange doesn't seem
appropriate for clients to send).