Re: Origin Servers without Clocks

From: Ross Patterson <Ross_Patterson@ns.reston.vmd.sterling.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 97 18:17:14 EDT
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com writes:

>  At the Memphis meeting, I briefly discussed the fact that many
>  systems where our 1.1 server implementation will be used do not (and
>  will not) have clocks, so sending the Date header is problematic.

While I understand and sympathize with the issue here (I've already
got too many clocks in my home, I don't need more to reset twice a
year!), I find it suprising that TCP can be implemented on a system that
has no timing facilities.  For that matter, don't many (most?) embedded
systems have a real-time kernel, with a timer-based dispatcher?  Or am I
mistaking a timer for a time-of-day-and-date clock?

Ross Patterson
Sterling Software, Inc.
VM Software Division