RE: Digest Authentication, Netscape, and Microsoft

Phill, you wrote:

>SSL unfortunately provides a relatively weak form of security. It
>is great if your definition of security is the use of cryptography.
>It has no real model of how it should interact with firewalls for
>example - nobody sends encrypted data through the firewalls I have
>experience with, that is part of their purpose. Nor can data from
>an SSL transaction be cached by an intermediary.

So are you saying that all firewalls you have encountered block SSL?
For companies like us, that would seem to block the easiest method of
sending encrypted data to sites outside our firewall.  (Our firewall
does permit SSL.)  Or did you mean something else?
Mark Leighton Fisher                   Thomson Consumer Electronics
fisherm@indy.tce.com                 Indianapolis, IN
"ViaCrypt?  Vhy not!"