Re: 1xx Clarification

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 23:21:16 PDT
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Cc: "'doug_crow@cacheflow.com'" <doug_crow@cacheflow.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> Your argument has the underlying assumption that the notification
> information was "meant" for a particular user. There are many scenarios,
> such as the server saying things like "I am going down" or "My resources
> are getting limited" where the asynchronous notification is meant for
> whomever has the connection open.

Well, so 1xx messages sent between a request and a response
apply to that response, but 1xx messages sent without
an outstanding request only apply "generically" to whomever
has the connection open. Given the possibility of pipelining,
it might be hard to tell which case you have. If I pipeline
two requests and I get a 1xx after the first response and
before the second, was it generated AFTER the second request
was received or before?

--
http://www.parc.xerox.com/masinter