Re: Issues-list item "CACHING-CGI"

From: Gregory J. Woodhouse <gjw@wnetc.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 1997 21:44:31 -0700 (PDT)
To: "Roy T. Fielding" <fielding@kiwi.ICS.UCI.EDU>
Cc: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
On Tue, 15 Apr 1997, Roy T. Fielding wrote:

> CGI is no different than any other part of the server.  I think it
> is a mistake to encode namespace assumptions into the protocol,
> particularly when we have already provided a means for origin servers
> to explicitly mark something as non-cachable.

I absolutely agree. There is nothing to stop a CGI programmer from
generating appropriate Expires: and Cache-control: headers. In fact, I
don't know why a  server couldn't have an option feature to disable
caching of resources with URLs matching *.cgi, http://domain/cgi-bin/*,
etc. But by all means, make this optional.

---
gjw@wnetc.com    /    http://www.wnetc.com/home.html
If you're going to reinvent the wheel, at least try to come
up with a better one.