Re: HTTP/1.1 Pipelining

From: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 97 16:39:26 MDT
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
Josh Cohen <josh@birdcage.mcom.com> writes:
    What do we do with sticky headers?  Should each origin server get 1
    copy of the sticky headers? Should the client have to specify
    sticky headers for the 1st request to a new origin server in a
    pipeline?

We don't have sticky headers in HTTP/1.1.  (I think we should, but that's
another discussion.)

If we did have them, then the rules for multiplexing such requests
over a proxy would have to be specified carefully.  In fact,
earlier versions of the hit-metering draft did do something like
this, but people talked me out of using anything sticky in
the hit-metering design.

I believe that the solution is not extremely complex, but it wouldn't
be a total no-brainer, either.  Let's worry about this in HTTP/1.2.

-Jeff