chunked enc. (Was: Re: draft minutes, HTTP-WG meetings April 7)

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 1997 12:04:57 -0400
To: masinter@parc.xerox.com
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
> In the discussion, the following issues seemed to have sufficient
> consensus in the meeting that "last call" will be sent to the
> mailing list for each of them:
>    "chunked encoding" clarification

The clarification was that leading zeroes would be allowed in the hexadecimal
byte count.

As I thought about this a little, I realized some additional tweaking would
be required in the draft, both in the syntax and the description.  In
particular, the syntax probably becomes
	chunk-size	= 1*HEX
but the description will need a caveat that the value of chunk-size must be
non-zero, except for the last chunk.  Should the last chunk always be denoted
by "0" CRLF, or by 1*HEX CRLF, where the value of 1*HEX value is zero?  If
the former, are we comfortable with zero-length, non-final chunks?  There
could be the ambiguous case of chunk-size being, say "00".

Dave Kristol