webmaster@website

From: Adam M. Costello <amc@cs.berkeley.edu>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 02:16:15 -0800 (PST)
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
The webmaster@website convention is falling out of use.  Has anyone
considered making it a requirement for HTTP/1.1 compliance?  Is it too
late to even be talking about this?

There have been numerous occasions where a web site has been
sufficiently broken that I could not see any of the pages.  I try to
notify the administrators by sending mail to webmaster@website, but
these days, more often than not, the address is unknown.  Then what am I
supposed to do?

RFC 1123 requires all SMTP servers to support postmaster, so there is a
precedent for a requirement like this.

Or should people be encouraged to report web problems to postmaster when
the web site is too broken to show the preferred address?

AMC