Re: pipelining vs. deferred content

On Thu, 27 Mar 1997, Jeff de la Beaujardiere wrote:

> Interesting idea which should help with pipelined requests.  It does,
> however, require invoking a second script on the server.  I want a single
> response to send HTML, pause while the image is generated, and then send the
> image.

I believe that some server implementations allow an "nph" script to
completely take over the connection.  In that case a single script
could handle a number of requests in one connection in the way you
want.  Personally, I have always considered this a security hole.  It
a allows a script to highjack the connection and pretend to be the
server for the duration of the connection without the real server
being aware of the transactions.  My guess is that this "feature" will
disappear from future versions of servers.

		john@math.nwu.edu