Re: ID: Proxy autoconfig

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:38:06 -0500
To: Josh Cohen <josh@netscape.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
A question about auto-config:  under what circumstances does it come into play?  For
example, suppose I start up a browser and it configures itself.  Then I fuss with
the configuration, use the browser for awhile, then quit.  When I start it again, is
the browser going to override the settings I put in place, or does it try to
auto-config only if there are no other settings?

If the browser only tries to configure itself if there are no pre-settings, there's
another problem.  Suppose, given the scenario above, that I decide, for whatever
reason, that I want no proxies.  When I exit and restart, will auto-config force a
proxy on me again?

Dave Kristol