Re: HTTP Connection Management (draft-ietf-http-connection-00.txt)

John Franks writes:
> Gettys and Freier are discussing something else, for example, letting the
> client know about a server's policy concerning maximum allowed idle time
> or maximum number of pipelined GETs permitted..

Thanks for setting me straight on this.

> I think that Ben Laurie was pointing out that the server can't really know
> "when all the inlined entities have been sent" since some may be in the
> browser's cache, but the client surely knows when they have been received
> so it is not clear why it would need a close-connection hint.

I assumed the hint was meant as a request to the client to close the
connection and go away.  I agree that caching could be a problem.

--Jeff dLB

  = J-F Pitot de La Beaujardiere
  = delabeau@iniki.gsfc.nasa.gov
  = http://globe2.gsfc.nasa.gov/