Re: Section 10.1.1 Combining Set-Cookie and Set-Cookie2

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@bell-labs.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 1997 09:50:03 -0500
To: "David W. Morris" <dwm@xpasc.com>
Cc: http working group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>
David W. Morris wrote:

> The combinatorial rules are difficult and must be implemented to some
> degree by both the server and the client.  In addition, they are in
> support of a transition interval. I think they should be dropped in the
> interest of simplicity.

I didn't think the combination rules ("combinatorial" conjures a much worse
situation) were that bad, but that's a judgement call.  Either way, I think
the burden for interpreting them is wholly in the client.  Yaron Goland (in
a separate message) stated that the burden on the server, to emit
Set-Cookie2, is minor.  And there's no new burden on the server to
interpret Cookie, which remains unchanged.

Dave Kristol