Re: RFC2109 addition...

From: Jonathan Stark <stark@commerce.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:19:52 -0800 (PST)
To: Yaron Goland <yarong@microsoft.com>
Cc: dwm@xpasc.com, stark@commerce.net, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

> Why not just make the comment field syntax into something like
> CommentAttribute = "Comment" "=" (Quoted-String | "<" URI ">")
> ?
> 		Yaron

I disagree with this approach unless we make it legal to have
multiple Comment attributes within the same cookie (And I don't
think we really do want to do that.)  As discussed earlier, I think
there is a definite value in being able to include a URI AND a
comment "string".  Some browsers may support one and not the other,
some groups may want to dynamically explain their cookies,
sending a user-specific comment string with each cookie, or who
knows... I don't think we should limit ourselves to having
one or the other.

(And Dave, I like the quoted notation for the URL's better than
<> as well.)

Jonathan