RE: Unverifiable Transactions / Cookie draft

From: M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:29:42 -0800 (PST)
To: Steve Madere <madere@dejanews.com>
Cc: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Steve Madere wrote:
> if you take away the auto-cookie capability, sites will be forced to
> require users to register and "login" to get this kind of control.

Absolutely not.  I refuse to write a first draft business plan for the
other methods that would prevent this from being true, but others have
already provided the general idea.  Your assertion is not supportable.

> Do you actually think all of these sites will continue to provide these
> extremely valuable and *expensive to operate* services if they can't
> provide highly controllable and measurable advertising?

It seems to have worked for television, radio, and many forms of print
media for quite a while.  Somehow, I have confidence that the Web and its
revenue models will survive this RFC.

> Nuking centralized ad management is indeed nuking smaller advertising
> supported websites and only those sites.

Again, I think you underestimate the resourcefulness of the marketing
community (of which I am a part!).  This provision of the RFC is trying to
maintain the privacy protections users have come to expect, and alert them
to collection that occurs above and beyond their expectations.

[Okay, enough from me on this topic.  Further general discussions of the
one-to-one future seem to be out of the scope of this WG and should
probably be redirected to www-talk, unless there really is consensus that
the draft needs revision.  If so, I would suggest we focus on Dan Jaye's
suggestion and my response.]

M. Hedlund <hedlund@best.com>