RE: Unverifiable Transactions / Cookie draft

On Tue, 18 Mar 1997, Yaron Goland wrote:

> There is an interesting assumption being made that protocols have the
> right to dictate user interface to software makers. Am I the only one
> who finds this development disturbing? Not because I am overly concerned
> about protocols dictating UI, the protocol will be roundly ignored and
> compliance will be coincidental at best, but rather that by dictating
> requirements in areas clearly beyond the scope of a wire protocol, the
> authority of the protocol group is lessened.

When the purpose of the protocol is to allow for reliable communication
between a user and an application, there is sometimes no other choice than
to specify the content of the UI. There is a large difference in my mind
between describing what choices the user must be presented with and
telling the UI designer how to present those choices. The UI choices I've
seen have all been related to specification of the communication features
required.

If you object to a specific statement, please be specific. I have seen no
general trend to take over the UI.

Dave Morris