Re: Unverifiable Transactions / Cookie draft

From: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 10:35:32 -0500 (EST)
To: Ted Hardie <hardie@thornhill.arc.nasa.gov>
Cc: robh@imdb.com, http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
In a previous episode Ted Hardie said...
:: > I know there are plans to make proxies report this kind of info in the
:: > future, but we're not there yet and sites that are dependant on ad revenue
:: > cannot afford to be good net citizens w.r.t caching ads.
:: Just to clarify, the proposals are to standardize a method
:: to *allow* proxies to report this kind of data.  Nothing in the
:: proposals *makes* anyone do anything.  Jeff and Paul
:: were very clear about that from the beginning, and it
:: keeps the hit-metering draft out of the scary
:: "big-brother" category.

Right on.. and to clarify a little further when serving to a proxy the
origin server is told whether or not the proxy pledges to return this
information at a later date.. if it doesn't they can cache bust.. the
weakest point of the hit-metering draft IMHO is that it doesn't try
and provide any other methods of determing proxy reliability wrt this
pledge to base the "to cache or to bust" decision on..