HTTP/1.1 issue: Proxy-Authorization

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 97 10:57:51 EST
To: http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com
An application I'm working on depends on a user agent's sending the
Proxy-Authorization header to a proxy every time once authentication
has been requested (and is successful).  Netscape does so; MSIE 3.01
does not.

The HTTP/1.1 spec. is silent about whether a UA must send the header
every time.  I would like to know what the intended behavior is.  If
"every time" is the intended behavior, the spec. needs to be
clarified.

Dave Kristol