RE: Padding size in chunked encoding

From: Phillip M. Hallam-Baker <hallam@ai.mit.edu>
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 1997 12:32:04 -0500
To: 'John Franks' <john@math.nwu.edu>, HTTP Working Group <http-wg@cuckoo.hpl.hp.com>
This problem could be cleanly solved if we could zero pad the size
of a chunk.  I.e. if a chunk size could look like

                 0057CRLF

The current BNF disallows this, however.  Is there some reason for
disallowing a leading zero?  If this cannot be changed I suspect
we will end up with rather inelegant extensions like

                 57;pad="xxx"CRLF

with a variable number of x's adjusted to create the padding.

John is right, but this was discussed at length at the time. I've
never heard a reasoned argument aginst the leading zeros but
 it didn't get fixed then and its too late now.

	Phill