Re: Content encoding problem...

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> [...]
> Then it sounds like they have digressed, because all of my tests were
> with text/html content with both "x-gzip" and "x-compress" encoding.
> The browsers would retrieve the content and decompress it before
> rendering.  The only ones which did not do so were the Mac-based clients
> which did not (at that time) have a library for gzip decompression.
> This was two years ago (decades in web-years), but I am surprised that
> things would change so much in an incompatible way.
> [...]

Roy's understanding matches mine.  I have to believe there's a miscommunication
here between people, because I believe the software continues to work this way.
If I'm right, then Roy is right that the only thing necessary to put end-to-end
compression on the wire is for servers just to do it:  If the user agent sends an
"Accept-Encoding: gzip" (for example), the server can gzip-compress the content,
on the fly if necessary, and add a "Content-Encoding: gzip" header in the
response.  The original Content-Type would still apply (not necessarily
application/octet-stream).

Dave Kristol