Re: How to add new "protocols" ?

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 1997 16:48:09 +0100 (MET)
To: Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Cc: luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, www-talk@www10.www3.org
Luigi Rizzo:

>Hi,
>
>I have a questions that is somewhat related to HTTP.  What is the
>best, and cleanest, way to specify the reliable transport protocol
>(intended as Network Transport Protocol, e.g.  TCP, something-above-UDP,
>etc.) used to transfer HTTP data ?
[....]
>If someone wonders why. Think of using a portable unit to browse,
>and have an asymmetrical channel, e.g. uplink via cellular phone,
>downlink is broadcast (e.g. using satellite or TV channels, much
>like teletext).

I think the above case is best configured as a gateway service for HTTP:

  user agent <--http--> special  HTTP  gateway  service <--http--> origin
  |                        |               |          |            server
  |---inside portable------| <-asym chan-> |-special--|
                                              server

So the origin server sees a normal connection from a HTTP client.

The parameters for the special gateway service would presumably be set in a
preferences window of the user agent, in the same way as a proxy can be set
now.

>	Luigi

Koen.