Re: errata for cookie spec

From: Dave Kristol <dmk@research.bell-labs.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 97 16:04:30 EST
To: koen@win.tue.nl
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, www-talk@www10.w3.org
  > Two small comments on the errata:
  >
  > 1. The section `Compatibility with MS's implementation' states the problem,
  > but no solution.  I'd prefer it if you append something like
  >
  >  Therefore, servers should be careful in sending complex cookies that use
  >  this specification to legacy HTTP/1.0 user agents.  If an unknown HTTP/1.0
  >  user agent is encountered, a server can determine its compatibility with
  >  this specification by first returning a response which sets a simple
  >  non-persistent cookie, and then examining the cookie header of any
  >  subsequent request.

Okay, but....  Because the cookie spec. is separable from HTTP/1.1, and
because it will become a standard after HTTP/1.1, there's no assurance
that even HTTP/1.1 user agents will follow this spec.  So it might be
wise to avoid reference to HTTP/1.0.

Also, what exactly do you mean by "unknown HTTP/1.0 user agent"?

  > 2. Benjamin Franz noted an ambiguity which could be interpreted in a
  > perverse way.  In the following part of section 4.3.5:
  >
  >  When it makes an unverifiable transaction, a user agent must enable a
  >  session only if a cookie with a domain attribute D was sent or received
  >                                                                 ^^^^^^^^
  >  in its origin transaction, such that the host name in the Request-URI of
  >  the unverifiable transaction domain-matches D.
  >
  > `received' really means `recieved and not rejected'.  So it is better to
  > replace `recieved' by `accepted'.

Okay.  It's actually better *not* to replace "received" with "recieved",
and I will replace "received" with "accepted".  :-)

Dave Kristol