Re: A broken browser

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 1997 14:36:03 +0100 (MET)
To: "Martin J. Duerst" <mduerst@ifi.unizh.ch>
Cc: koen@win.tue.nl, masinter@parc.xerox.com, cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@http-wg.uucp
Martin J. Duerst:

>Saying "Even ... allowed by 1.1" seems to assume that prefix matching might
>work better with
>
>    Accept-L   Content-L
>     en         en-us
>
>than with
>     en-us      en

I did not mean to imply this assumption, and I don't know if it would be
true.

>There is
>an asymmetry in 1.1 that is not justified.

When I got involved in HTTP, the above asymmetry already existed.  I have
justified why we did not extend the matching rules to make it more
symmetrical, but I do not know the reason why the first matching rule was
there already.  Maybe because all other accept/content pairs also have this
kind of matching.

>Regards,	Martin.

Koen.

uage. It is perfectly reasonable to tag a document
as "en", and it is perfectly reasonable for a user to set preferences
for "en-us", and it would make perfect sense for a server to match
the two if it matches them the other way round.

Regards,	Martin.