Re: A broken browser

From: Koen Holtman <koen@win.tue.nl>
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 1997 01:54:54 +0100 (MET)
To: Albert-Lunde@nwu.edu
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Albert Lunde:

>> --- begin ---
>>
>> 10.4.7 406 Not Acceptable [...]
>>   Note: HTTP/1.1 servers are allowed to return responses which are
>>   not acceptable according to the accept headers sent in the request.
>>   In some cases, this may even be preferable to sending a 406
>>   response.

>As I recall, the reason behind this provision in the spec was to
>make it possible, as a degenerate case, to write "10-line http servers"

No, I mainly included the above provision to make it possible for a
server to ignore the Accept headers if it knows that they are broken.

As for the interpretation of text/html;q=0: historically, q=0 means
`unacceptable', not `least acceptable of those listed'.  The
Accept-Charset section is somewhat explicit about this.  Transparent
content negotiation also uses q=0 to mean `unacceptable'.

Koen.