The problem with proxy-revalidate, and a proposed solution

From: Anselm Baird_Smith <abaird@www43.inria.fr>
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 1996 12:00:35 +0100 (MET)
To: Jeffrey Mogul <mogul@pa.dec.com>
Cc: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Jeffrey Mogul writes:
 > After thinking about it for a while, and making up a table of all
 > the possible combinations....

I think it would help a lot to have this table, before actually going
into deeper discussions. I know my imlementation of 1.1 proxy is wrong
in several places, and before touching the code, I would like to make
sure I understand the semantics of all the possible combinations. BTW
it would be nice if this table also contained the warnings to be
emitted for each cases along with the conditions under which these
warnings should be emitted.

I now realize that writing down this table is not a small task, I will
be glad to provide, if this helps, the table that Jigsaw currently
implements as a starting point (even though, as I said, I know it's
wrong).

Anselm.