Re: Warnings, RFC 1522, and ISO-8859-1

Jeffrey Mogul wrote:
> Again, I know very little about i18n; is it actually the case that you
> cannot always render the text with knowledge of the character set
> alone, but must also know the language as well?

(I also know very little about i18n.  These are free thoughts from me.)
I don't think you *must* know it, but it can help.  I think it would
be beneficial if all texts are marked with natural language.  Here are
some ways a program might use the information on what language a text
is in:

 * Hyphenate correctly
 * Transliterate the text into another character set before showing
it.  How to transliterate might depend on what language the text is in.
 * Deciding which dictionary to use if the user can look up words in
the text in a dictionary from the rendering program.
 * Do an automatic translation into another language.  (A bit far-fetched...)

Specific for warning messages like those:
 * Decide if the warning text sent should be shown, or a stock
message associated with that error number instead.

--
Per Starback  <starback@minsk.docs.uu.se>  http://www.update.uu.se/~starback
 "Life is but a gamble!  Let flipism chart your ramble!"