Re: What is a specification for? [was Re: Calculating Age Question]

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Nov 1996 11:47:49 PST
To: http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com
Roy claims that there is an egregious error in the HTTP/1.1
specification over the calculation of Age, and yet he does not have
time to generate another special draft which corrects this error.

However, it is unacceptable to claim that the draft means what it
doesn't say and what we (as a group) intended it to mean.

Thus, I'd like to ask that if ANYONE ELSE in the WHOLE WORKING GROUP
agrees with Roy that the proposal for calculation of Age in the
HTTP/1.1 specification is incorrect, would you please at least send me
(if not the whole group) a message indicating that you think this is
something that should be addressed.

Creating an Internet Draft on "The Calculation of Age in HTTP/1.1" is
actually easier (less effort) than composing impassioned messages
about it, or even reading all of the mail it generates, so clearly
we'll be able to find _someone_ to write it up if, in fact, it needs
writing up.

Happy Thanksgiving,

(Giving thanks that the holidays is letting me catch up on mail).

Larry