hit metering - abbreviations

From: Patrick McManus <mcmanus@appliedtheory.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Nov 1996 13:55:47 -0500 (EST)
To: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Folks,

re: draft-mogul-http-hit-metering-00.txt

This is very a minor issue.

> 5.2 Abbreviations for Meter directives
>   To allow for the most efficient possible encoding of Meter headers,
>   we define abbreviated forms of all Meter directives.  These are

Didn't we just go through this with 1.1? I think consistency in the
protocol is an important consideration. Either it should be a human
readable protocol, or a binary machine optimized protocol.. defining
synonyms for terms seems to add nothing but confusion.

I think the abbreviations are un-necessary especially when you
consider the excellent job Jeff and Paul did at making sure that the
default (empty) conditions of meter: are the common cases. Further
condensation seems like a fool-hardy optimization.

While I'm willing to trade simplicity for some reasons, I don't find
the argument compelling enough here.

-Patrick

--
Patrick R. McManus - Applied Theory Communications -	Software Engineering
http://pat.appliedtheory.com/~mcmanus			Programmer Analyst