Re: Hit-metering: to Proposed Standard?

Jeffrey Mogul:

>Several weeks ago, Paul Leach and I submitted an Internet-Draft
>on "Simple Hit-Metering for HTTP":
>
> ftp://ds.internic.net/internet-drafts/draft-mogul-http-hit-metering-00.txt
>
>and announced it to the HTTP-WG mailing list.
[....]

>Since we have not seen any criticism of our latest proposal, we would
>like to interpret this as lack of criticism rather than lack of
>interest,

Oops.  I have not yet reviewed your draft, but I plan to do so before
December.  I will not bore you with explanations of my slowness.

Note that I had some problems with the previous draft; I have no idea
yet whether they were resolved in this one.

I would interpret the lack of criticism so far as a lack of time, and
as a sign that most WG members are using `shortest job first'
scheduling.  Based on this, I feel that you need to wait at least
until after the December IETF before submitting as a proposed
standard.

I believe that those people who have not read the draft before the
December IETF will more or less by default place themselves outside of
the `community' which works on completing the `community review'
required for a proposed standard.  Note that Larry may disagree.  Of
course, if the reviewing community is small, you will have to come
with some convincing evidence that there is enough community interest.

>-Jeff and Paul

Koen.