Re: Server response version number

From: David W. Morris <dwm@xpasc.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Oct 1996 00:10:06 -0700 (PDT)
To: http working group <http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com>

On Sun, 20 Oct 1996, Larry Masinter wrote:

> Ahe server should always return its http version.  I'm concerned there
> may be some yet-unidentified parts of the current HTTP/1.1
> specification that are inconsistent with that approach, but we should
> fix those, since the alternative just doesn't make sense.

I don't think this makes sense .... my implemented conclusion has been:

1.  The protocol level returned in the response should declare the level
    of the response.
2.  The response protocol level from a server should never be higher
    than the request's protocol.
3.  The client must interpret the response based on the response protocol
    level, not the request protocol level.

I believe there is potential breakage otherwise.

Dave Morris