Re: HTTP working group status & issues

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 1996 14:37:04 PDT
To: hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu
Cc: dee@cybercash.com, http-wg%cuckoo.hpl.hp.com@hplb.hpl.hp.com, hallam@vesuvius.ai.mit.edu

I said:

>>    I think that the separation and lack of coordination between
>>    WTS and HTTP-WG was a serious problem, and that I should have done
>>    more to prevent this morass.

I did not mean to start a debate on what the 'real' problem was or the
'most important problem', I just meant to say that 'no coordination'
is a problem.

To make this forward-looking rather than backward-looking, if there's
an ongoing effort to merge SSL and PCT, that's fine, and we don't need
(in HTTP-WG) to be concerned with it.

What I'm concerned about as 'undocumented' is the entire scheme of the
integration of "shttp:" URLs, warnings about secure forms and insecure
forms, interactions with other parts of HTTP and cookies,
etc. Ultimately these are important to document and standardize.